Who knew molasses was so darn addictive? Before these cookies I thought molasses = ick. Molasses is dark, sticky and smells like bark. Or something. But I picked up the carton from the store and it was sealed and everything so I know it hasn't been laced with anything. Right? Right??? Because if it were, it would explain the *mild* obsession I am having with these cookies. I'm cooky for cookies. And suddenly sound like a cereal commercial. Oy. I need to be stopped. Seriously. But just in case it's not such a bad thing, I thought I'd share the recipe with you. Then you can obsess right along with me.
Ingredients (Makes 36)
- *2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- **3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
* I add an extra 1/2 C to make them fluffy.** I use salted.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a shallow bowl, place 1/2 cup sugar; set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter and remaining cup of sugar until combined. Beat in egg and then molasses until combined. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in dry ingredients, just until a dough forms.
- Pinch off and roll dough into balls, each equal to 1 tablespoon. Roll balls in reserved sugar to coat.
- Arrange balls on baking sheets, about 3 inches apart. Bake, one sheet at a time, until edges of cookies are just firm, 10 to 15 minutes (cookies can be baked two sheets at a time, but they will not crackle uniformly). Cool 1 minute on baking sheets; transfer to racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container up to 4 days.
A few other things I'm addicted to these days:
- Hershey's Eggies ("Hershey's Eggs" in the US) They're egg-tastic! I could eat my weight equivalent. Even better than Cadbury Mini Eggs. Trust.
- Hawkins Cheezies Crunchy orange sticks have never tasted so good. I'm pretty sure I'm retaining water like a wishing well but I really don't care.
- Pickles The whole sour dill kind in the big jars in the refrigerated section, NOT the ones in the condiment aisle.
Are you at all concerned about what I'm eating?
Don't be. I promise I eat "real food" in between.
Anything you're addicted to these days?
Oh and thanks to all who entered the Orient Watch Giveaway. I nearly went bananas when I found out the winning comment (via random.org) was lucky no. 8...congratulations, Mayra!!!