Pages

Monday, November 16, 2009

Choo-rific Weekend


Wool Blazer - Necessary Objects, Skinnies - Zara, Striped Knit Tee - F21,
Peeptoes - Arturo Chiang 

As some of you know, last Saturday was the highly anticipated launch of Jimmy Choo's limited collection for H&M which was available at 200 H&M locations worldwide. Only four stores in Canada would carry the line, two of them being in Toronto.

To bring some sense of order to the mayhem that was sure to ensue with this launch, as it has with each of H&M's prevous designer collaborations, this time round H&M enforced a wristband policy. A wristband would allow groups of 20 to shop in the Shoe, Handbag and Accessory section for a 10 minute period at the alloted time they were given. Knowing only the first 160 people in line would be given a wristband, I did the most logical yet dumbest thing I have ever done in quest for a designer piece at a discounted price; I got up at a ridiculous hour on Saturday morning. Oh well, at least I didn't line up at 5:30pm the night before, as I would later learn the first person in line had done

When I got in line there were only about 90 ahead of me so things were looking good. Now, if I'm standing in line with someone for more than 10 minutes, you can bet I'm going to strike up conversation. So you can only imagine how chatty I got knowing I would be in line for hours. Our little group quickly established a camaraderie; within an hour we were buying each other muffins and hot beverages. We chatted about lots of things but it always circled back to what items we were hoping to leave the store with. We were all hopeful we'd leave with something.

All I wanted was one pair of shoes, just one. I didn't want to be greedy like a few in line (not in the group of friends I had made) who wanted to grab one in every style. You can bet eBay was going to be the next stop for those babies. One of everything would be delightful but I also knew, the more everyone took, the less everyone would be left with. And I've never been a "screw you" kind of girl.

I also wanted a handbag, the one I've stalked since the first day I saw it on H&M's website. But just before the store opened, I saw the bag in the window and though it was the closest I had ever gotten, suddenly I felt it couldn't be further away. By the time the wristbands were handed out more than 120 people were ahead of us. Yes, about 30 people had butted the line. I started to doubt I'd leave with anything, and figured if I'd manage to snag one piece it'd be a miracle. After waiting in line for hours I accepted that I could very well have done this for nothing. I thought it was highly likely I'd never want to speak of this day again

Well, 10:00am finally came and those with wristbands were allowed in the store first. Anyone could shop the clothing but not the SHA section. You'd think after waiting in line for so long that I'd have a strategy. Well, I didn't. I found myself in the store, staring at racks of clothing. And there I stood. Frozen. Watching arms claw for the clothing on the racks and shelves. Everyone grabbed what they could, it didn't matter what it was or what size it was in, they'd sort it out later.

As I watched people squeal with delight over their soon to be purchases, I felt sick to my stomach because clearly I had no business being there. I had given up precious sleep, stood in the cold for hours, I was hungry, tired and slightly delirious. Amidst all the chaos, I felt completely out of my element. So I sat on an empy table that just minutes before was stacked with Jimmy Choo items. In the chaos I had lost the friends I had made in line, and were sure they had all been more successful than I was. Looking around, who wasn't?

Then as I sat waiting, K appeared. K was the sweetie that bought me a muffin. I had bought her a hot chocolate. She and I wanted the same pair of shoes (in different sizes) and the same handbag. As K approached me she had a shoe box in her hand and THE bag. Some guy that already been allowed in the SHA section had picked them up for her. She showed me her goodies and I must admit, I wished I had her good fortune but I truly was so happy for her. I knew how much she had wanted them. Then she did something I never expected.

She handed me the bag and said, "Here, I want you to have it".

I stammered a string of incoherent words then told her I couldn't accept it. We went back and forth then I finally accepted it with the the condition that she could change her mind over the next 2 hours, while we waited to get into the SHA section. I stood to give her a hug, and no joke, I was teary. Maybe it's because we were both sleep deprived, maybe it's because we knew even though we'd just met that we'd be friends even after that day, maybe it's because she's just so kind. It's one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me, let alone someone I'd known for just a few hours. Well, K never changed her mind. Meet my Chooey...
 
My New Favourite Bag - Jimmy Choo for H&M, via my friend K

Thank you, K. Everytime I wear it, I will think of you. It'll always be a reminder that kind acts can take place anywhere, even in the middle of mayhem, even in a place where most people are just looking out for themselves. And yes, K - we are going on our shopping date! But next time after the sun has risen ;) 

When I finally got to the SHA section, I managed to snag three other handbags. And a pair of shoes. I gave them to three friends I had made that day. Three girls who had just missed the 160 cut off, who didn't have wristbands, which meant slim chances of them ending up with anything. In the end, each of them left with a handbag and one with the pair of shoes I managed to grab.

I didn't find a pair of shoes for myself. But it didn't even matter. I got THE bag I wanted, because of a sweet act I will always remember. And a sweet girl, I will never forget. Thank you, K.

Oh and if that didn't make my weekend, on Sunday I had the priviledge of speaking to the lovely Kristen on her birthday...I have a feeling that it won't be the last time either. Love you girly, hope you had the best birthday weekend ever!
Hope you all had fabulous weekends! 
xx Ela

51 comments:

  1. Awww so it wasn't just a complete bitchfest afterall?!! HAHA! Just kidding that is AWESOME!! K, thank you for being so sweet to my EllyWelly!! LOVE THE BAG!!!!

    I'm glad you posted this, I avoided the H&M's around me...I just can't deal but now I wish I had gone and taken a peek!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww! i love hearing about kind acts like that. i'm so happy that you got to meet new people and make new friends! it's amazing the friendships that will come about from the most unexpected places right?! so glad you got your bag, so glad you got to help others in return, and so glad for new friends!!! i hope you have a great week ahead of you, ela! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, what an experience... good thing the nightmare ended on a positive note. Glad you got the handbag you want. K is so sweet and you are equally sweet too for thinking of the others in line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's crazy. There's a line? wow.

    beautiful bag. love it.

    I Am Denise Katipunera

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on buying your treasure, sweetie! And what an experience!! I must admit I'd never ever cue to buy "special collection items", but that's me. :) I did have a look on ebay on Saturday night, just out of curiousity. There were quite a few shoes and bags there already... and people were bidding like crazy. Wow...
    Have a lovely day, honey!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. My...what a day!
    Patience has never been my virtue unfortunately...
    Great effortless style Darling & the pop of color on the shoes is so fab!
    xo*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa. What a morning. You poor thing! Crazy shoppers make me a little nauseous. I'm so glad you and a few others were able to bring some goodness to the happenings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow, what a story. The best your bag. It is sooooooo cute. Is it vintage?

    xoxo
    B* a la Moda

    ReplyDelete
  9. BEAUTIFUL bag but what a crazy experience!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww I'm so glad you got what you wanted. I can't handle waiting in lines like that, so kudos to you and even better you found a new shopping buddy!! Double Score! I Love H&M, it's one of the few stores I can actually afford. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. maybe im sleep deprived this morning too.. because i read that line where she gave you the bag and I TEARED UP. haha there are angels out there all among us and i am so certain that they are placed in our lives for different reasons. even if it's something as simple as a handbag.. but shows how generous people really are. i am so positive taht you would have done that for someone so i see why someone ddi it for you:) love u lady and so happy you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was indeed very sweet!!! Don't you love it when Random acts of kindness happen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are brave my friend. i was going to attempt to take on the choo-H&M mayhem but it just wasn't worth it to me. love jimmy choo but the fact that everyone will now be rockin some ruins the chase. haha! yea i'm that girl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow what an experience-I cannot imagine. I think it'd be too much anxiety for me.

    Glad you got your bag- it's fab, and it's nice to know there are people like K in the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww, that's such a sweet story! Such kind acts from a stranger really does restore my faith in humankind haha...So glad you got the bag you wanted, it looks fantastic:)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. That whole story gives me hope that people aren't always asshats and there really are some decent people in this world. And Karma is going to repay you and that little lady in more ways than one. Fabulous!!

    SO great to talk to you last night! Kent said I was giddy on the phone. I concur! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. that was incredibly sweet of her. really. i could just picture everyone in the store acting like a bunch of animals and then to have such a sweet gesture in the midst almost made me tear up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is SO sweet of her!!! What a great gesture. I'm so glad you were able to leave the store with a Jimmy Choo item! You look fabulous as always :)


    clothedmuch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. aww that's so nice! I love these random acts of kindness! there's no H&M in Ottawa sooo I didn't even bother looking up what Jimmy Choo has to offer HAHAHA it just makes me depressed! and yeah trashy is not really not, its like when you can have it all the time it loses its magic, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh honey, next time just come to Paris.... the Choo stuff didn't move off the shelves here. I think Parisian fashionistas would probaby rather die, than wear a high-street collab, but I passed a store at around 3:30pm and most of the stuff was still lying around the entrance.

    I'm so glad you got your bag and it's so nice to hear that not everyone at these things is a bitch. Honestly, sometimes I ask myself if girls even want the items they're grabbing or if it's a result of overblown hype. The bag looks great... it's actually one of my favorites from what I've seen, but I honestly don't like anything else I saw (especially as I can get a real Choo for the same price during a sale). Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I wanted to go this weekend! Love the bag! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  22. This was such a sweet story! It's nice to know that there are still some kind-hearted people in this world. That girl K sounds like such a lovely and selfless person. :) And I love how you passed on the kindness later that day!

    PS. And I'm totally jealous b/c my town doesn't have an H&M. The nearest one is like eight hours away. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow what a story and your friend was so kind to give you the bag! You were sweet to try and give it back to her, glad you got your bag and hope you get your shoes soon. I had no idea it would be that crazy over H&M!!! Glad you had a fun weekend, even though you were tired, and that you were able to talk to Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that story! How sweet!!!

    your bag is beautiful...and I love your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Okay... reading this, I was so worried... I was scared there might not be a happy ending... but thank the lord for K! I love her because she made you happy. If I were closer, I would have totally come along as your bodyguard/food fetcher/moral support system. I am so delighted you got your bag... it is beautiful. I think you should name her... like I name my Coachie bags.

    ReplyDelete
  26. hi ela! congratulations on the choo purchase! it looks really great! :) i did not get to fall in line as i had a late friday night :P. i was planning to pass by to see if anything was left but i guess i don't need to bother right? hurray for kind strangers and making instant friends!
    hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an awesome experience! I wish more people would be sweet during events like that. I worked at Victoria's Secret back in the day and the way women behaved toward each other during the big sales was atrocious!

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW! That sounds like NYC. I swear things get just as nutty at the 5th Avenue store!

    So glad you got that purse!

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That purse is Choo die for!! =)

    Seriously, that much chaos, huh? I actually read about the wristband rules (or some sort of rules) on their website about limiting the no. of peeps inside. Crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great story, it is nice to hear that kind deeds can happen in the greedy shopping madness!

    Love the bag and you look adorable@

    ReplyDelete
  31. lol You are a brave brave shopper my dear, I didnt get to go =( I wonder what I can get my hands on if I go this week hmmm...

    Anywho you look gorgeous on the post below as well xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  32. No, I can´t believe is Jimmy Choo. This one I haven´t seen before. It is awesome.

    xoxo
    B* a la Moda

    ReplyDelete
  33. I adore this outfit, its glorious, loving those shoes and that bag. You have such beautiful clothing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Aw wow, that lady sounds so lovely! If someone did that for me, I'd be overjoyed :) glad you managed to get yourself a bag, it's awesome btw!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great bag Ela! :) Love the outfit as well. I only wish we had H&M here in Hawaii!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Glad you have a bag! but sorry to say this, I'm glad too, that I didn't go there, because I really don't like H&M stores and the crowd that comes with it, esp. not on these events! besides, I want CHOOS, I will get them soon sometime in paris!

    loves

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yay! That is so so so sweet of her and you! I'm glad fashion hasn't gone completely jungle on us.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Isn't it amazing how much a nice act like this can make your week?
    And congrats on the bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a cute story! And I love your striped top so much!

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a wonderful story! I really want to Jimmy Choo's from H&M but I just know they will be like finding a needle in a haystack here in NYC... but I am so glad your own personal "stranger angel", as I call kind strangers, hooked you up girl!

    ReplyDelete
  41. So nice you got the bag at least! very pretty and I love your shoes, lovely color!

    ReplyDelete
  42. You are so patient to have waited in line. I think the first AND last time I waited in line ever was to see Mary J. Blige back in the 90's. I vowed never to do that again. But looking at your loot, seems like it was worth waiting for. Congrats to you and the good soul, Ms. K! Amen to fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Ooh, so you were part of the Choo frenzy! So was I. *blushes* I love RAOKs! I was one of the wristband-less gals but I did get lucky in getting the flats I wanted...whew! Nice blog you have here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a sweet story, Ela! This is exactly what it was like when the Nordsy Rack opened up here in Austin. I was saddened by all the frenzy and for a split second was like, "It's ONLY fashion, people!" Haha. This coming from a fashion blogger.

    I ended up leaving empty handed and still haven't gone in since.

    I am so excited that you got your bag! Again, thanks for the story!

    Adored Austin adores you!

    ReplyDelete
  45. such a sweet story!!!!

    you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  46. love the jimmy choo bag...such a classic piece! I love your blog! please check out my fashion and lifestyle blog www.andeelayne.blogspot.com . Please follow mine as I will yours! xoox

    ReplyDelete
  47. you are easily the sweetest person in the world! i got goosebumps reading this post awwww!

    i love h&m. i love h&m collaborations. wish we had it here. so so much. sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  48. That's so SWEET! I would've done the same with a newly found friend. Sharing is the best way to seek new friends in the most unexpected places. :)

    Love the bag, Ela!

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts?
Hmm...let's make that an I.O.U ;)

xx Ela